Huawei finally has some respite after a horrid 24 hours. The U.S. Department of Commerce provided the company with a 90 days extension to support existing handsets and components of the network.
A “Temporary General License” has been issued by the department to the Huawei “necessary to maintain and support existing and currently fully operational networks and equipment, including software updates and patches, subject to legally binding contracts and agreements” that is going to be expired on August 19.
To recap, following an Executive Order signed by US President Donald Trump to ban Huawei last week, the Chinese company has been ceased by US technology companies such as Google, Qualcomm, and Intel.
In reply, Huawei issued a statement saying it will “continue to provide all existing Huawei and Honor smartphone and tablet products with security updates and post-sale services covering those that have been sold and are still available globally.”
Yesterday, Ren Zhengfei, CFO of the company, said that the American politicians underestimated the strength of Huawei. He said that the 90-day extension has little impact and that the company is ready to deal with this ban. In addition, Zhengfei said Huawei is already in talks with Google to develop a response plan for its phone company.